500 words, 5 days to write them, must be submitted by 5 on Friday – 555, get it?
Here are the rules:
- The prompt will go live every Monday morning – the time is a little flexible, but generally between 7 and 9 am CST.
- You have until Friday to write your response – roughly 500 words to keep things manageable
- Calls for entries will go live on Thursday evenings at 5 pm CST (share the link around if you’re brave enough to invite more competition!)
- Enter the contest by posting your story or a link to your story in the comments section of the call for entries post. But you have to have your response in before 5 pm CST on Friday or you lose your chance.
- Entering the contest means you give permission for me to publish your story throughout the weekend without any more attribution than the title you’ve assigned.
- Readers have a chance to vote on their favorite stories starting Saturday morning. Stories will be identified by their titles only to try to keep the focus on the writing rather than the writer so share the link around to get votes in, but try not to point out which story is yours.
- The following Monday, all writers are given credit for the stories they submitted (with links if provided so be sure to include your blog address and/or Twitter handle if you want folks to find you) and the winning story will be featured along with the new prompt for the week
- I do what I can to promote the winner through Monday and Tuesday on social media channels, too, so there’s a bit of bonus in there for you, but mostly the contest is for fun and to stretch those creative muscles!
This is an evolving contest, so we may change things up a bit as we go, but this is where we are right now.